Rutgers – Our Beloved Community
President Jonathan Holloway describes Rutgers as a beloved community, one in which all members are working together and are heard, respected, and valued. A beloved community is a diverse and inclusive one, complex, in pursuit of perfection, and committed to nurturing the aspirations that advance that pursuit.
RUTGERS COMMUNITY ART CONTEST
THEME: How have you been inspired by our Beloved Rutgers community in the past year?
Draw, sketch or paint your Rutgers inspirations on canvas, provided for free to the first 24 entrants. Art submissions will be displayed in our lobby and will be posted on our website and social media accounts. The community will vote on their top three selections. Winners will be announced by the end of May 2021
- First Prize: Rutgers gift bag including, $50 gift certificate to Old Man Rafferty’s.
- Second Prize: Rutgers gift bag, including a gift certificate to Thomas Sweets.
- Third Prize: Rutgers coffee mug.
Who can participate?
Anyone who is part of our Rutgers community. Students – full time, part time, lifelong learners, faculty, staff and alumni.
How do I enter?
- Sign up HERE. Deadline for registration is April 16, 2021.
- Basic supplies will be provided for the first 24 community members who complete the online registration form.
- After you submit your entry, you will receive an email to schedule a pick-up of provided supplies.
- Supplies need to be picked up at the Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center. We cannot ship.
What can I create?
- Anything that inspires you. You can use paint or sketch your artwork.
- Part of the contest will require the artist to prepare a statement, which will tell us about the artwork and how it represents your inspiration about our Rutgers community.
Can I use my own supplies?
- Of course. We wanted to start you off with some basics. We just ask that your artwork be no larger than 11 x 14 and be on canvas.
- If you wanted to sketch something instead, we just ask that you adhere the artwork to the supplied canvas.
Are there any restrictions?
- Artwork must be created on canvas no larger than 11” X 14”. We will be providing random canvas to the first 24 community members that submit the registration form; sizes include 11” X 14”, 9” X 12”, 8” X 10” and 5” X 7”.
- Artwork should be original. No copyrighted imagery will be accepted. Your submission will be immediately disqualified if it does not meet these restrictions.
- All artwork submitted becomes property of the Rutgers University Inn & Conference Center, will be displayed at the Inn, and will be used for promotional purposes.
How do I submit my final work?
- Completed artwork should be dropped off at the Inn by the deadline date of May 10th.
- Someone from the Inn will be in contact to schedule a drop of date and time.
- Contestant will be photographed with their piece of artwork to be used in our marketing material.
What is the Judging criteria?
- Representation of the contest theme, use of Rutgers name and identity incorporation.
- Theme communication - How well the contest theme is expressed in both the artwork and written statement.
Who will be allowed to participate in judging?
- Artwork will be posted on our website. Judging is open to our entire Rutgers community.
- Be sure to tell your friends and family to visit our website at stay.rutgers.edu to vote for you!